Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cream Cheese Rice

One of my favorite cooking blogs is Good Thymes and Good Food. Rachel has many great recipes that are easy for busy Moms, nutritious and delicious!

When I made my Chicken Wellington, I wanted a side dish to go with it. I wanted something other than a salad or frozen veggies or another 'typical' side dish. Something different but yet easy since I didn't really know how difficult the wellington recipe would be. I found the perfect recipe when I came across her Mexican Cream Cheese Rice.

At first I thought about putting a mexican spin on the wellington using taco seasoning instead of the Italian seasonings so that I could make this rice exactly.  I finally settled on adapting this rice recipe to be a more basic side dish without the mexican theme.

It came out perfectly and was really, really good. I'll definitely make this again & again, perhaps changing it up a little bit each time I make it!

ream Cheese Rice with corn and peas
Recipe adapted from: Good Thymes and Good Food

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup uncooked instant rice
3 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can of peas, drained
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of mushrooms, drained
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
salt & pepper, to taste

In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the rice. Stir, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for twenty minutes.  Preheat the oven to 350* and spray a small baking dish with cooking spray. 

Once the rice is cooked, add the cubes of cream cheese and let melt. Add the corn, peas, mushrooms & onions. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Transfer the rice to the baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese bubbles and is lightly browned.

No comments: