Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

This is a recipe that I found on Amy's blog.  Amy is a very, very talented Woman. She's an Opera-singin'-pie-bakin'-beautiful-picture-takin' Blogger! She describes this Buttermilk pie as 'Man-Pleasin'. She wasn't kidding! Matt loved it. I also shared it with my Mom and Dad. They weren't as thrilled with it. Like Amy says, it is a very sweet pie. If you're watching your sugar intake, this will definitely be an indulgence for you. Well, it's not like you should or would want to eat something like this everyday anyway...

I really wanted to bake something on a low-key Friday night, so I decided to try Amy's Buttermilk Pie. Being from Minnesota, I've never had a slice or even heard of Buttermilk pie. I had everything available and it was something new, so in an effort to expand my baking skills, why not!

I had to email Amy because I was concerned that I had about 3/4 cup leftover buttermilk filling. She said that's normal and usually always has some left. I wonder if next time, I should try deep dish crusts and see how that turns out.


Clearly, I need to be less eager to try my baked goods...that's not a crack in the pie, that's a knife mark from starting to slice the pie before taking it's photo!

Our oven has issues and bakes unevenly. Does anyone know if there is some sort of solution to this?  I put the two pies side by side in my oven, just like they're pictured below. The pie on the right, the filling bubbled over and had a little bulge to it once cooled and out of the oven. I cooked the one on the right a litle longer because it was pretty 'jiggly' when the timer went off. I only had it in the oven for about 10 or 15 minutes longer than the first pie, but they baked completely different.

I definitely think that I will be making this pie again, perhaps for Easter? If you've never heard of or tasted Buttermilk pie, it's definitely worth a try. It's super easy to prepare and you'll likely have all of the ingredients already at home!

No comments: