Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

At work, I am in charge of ordering the food for our monthly staff meetings.  The hardest part about it is staying within the $7/person budget while maintaining variety.  There are a lot of meetings at work for a lot of different groups so I don't always want to fall back to old favorites.  It's hard enough to order the meal within budget, so it's rare that I can also order dessert and still stay within the budget. 

One day, a coworker asked me if I could order dessert too.  I told her that I had just found a really great  recipe so I would bring some homemade cookies.  It would keep us within budget and I'd get to do some baking! So, the night before the meeting, I went home and baked about six dozen batches of cookies. 

Everyone raved and raved about these cookies.  They were thankful for a dessert option and so many people kept asking and saying "How did you get them so soft?" "What's the secret ingredient?" "Did you really make these?" "Can I have the recipe?" "I can't make a Chocolate Chip Cookie to save my life!" 

Needless to say, they were happy and so was I!  I was able to do something that I love [baking] and I didn't let them go to waste or have six dozen cookies sit around my house. 


Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from: Annie's Eats

Ingredients
2 cups plus 2 tblsps all-purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1.2 teaspoon salt
12 tblsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325*

In a medium bowl, whisk your dry ingredients together.  Set them aside.  With an electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly combined.  Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined.  Add the dry ingredients and beat at low-speed just until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.


On Annie's blog, she says to roll a scant half cup of dough in your hands, pull it apart and put the jagged edges up on your baking sheet.  I skipped this and just used a Pampered Chef cookie scoop.  Much, much easier.  They turned out just fine. 

Bake for approximately 11-14 minutes, rotating your cookie sheets halfway through the baking time. 

Be cautious to not overbake the cookies.  They're going to turn out crisp enough to hold their shape and form but yet, ooey, gooey and chewy.  That's just how I like my cookies!  I am happy to say that I've found my go-to recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies! . 

No comments: