Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Crockpot Orange Chicken turned ugly...

This wasn't a succesful recipe, as you can see.  Which is very unfortunate because my Husband and I love Chinese food, and I was excited to find a recipe for one of our favorites! I saw it on this blog originally. Doesn't her picture look much, much better than mine? Yikes. I was so sad to let such a tasty entree go to waste! What happened was, we were gone much longer than I thought we would be and so our lovely orange chicken dinner, shriveled up and burnt. So, so sad.

(eww... just think how fun it was to clean this up!)
This one is definitely on our list to make again, we'll just need to make sure we're home in time!

Ingredients
1.5lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
1/2 cup flour
olive oil for browning the chicken
1.5 tsps salt
6 ounces orange juice concentrate w/ no pulp, thawed
3 tblsp brown sugar
1 tblsp balsamic vinegar (I omitted because I didn't have any)
3 tblsp ketchup

Use a 4qt slow cooker for best results (this may have been part of my problem too,I was using a large slow cooker). Dredge the chicken in the flour, shake off the excess. When you're done dredging the chicken, throw away the remaining flour, you don't need it for anything else. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken on all sides. Sear it so that it gets a nice coating on each side.

Put the chicken in the slowcooker. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (salt through ketchup). Taste a little, if you'd like the chicken to be sweeter add a little more brown sugar.Pour the sauce mix all over the chicken and gently coat all pieces.
Cover and cook on low for 6hours, or on high for 3-4hours.
We had the intentions to serve it with white rice, but since we didn't eat it...no rice for us. You could serve it with a brown rice too.
Check out Krista's blog here, she's got some suggestions at the end of her recipe.

1 comment:

KB said...

Awwww, sad day! I'm so sorry it burned and didn't work for you :( Yea, I did use a large crockpot for ours, but I only had it in there for about an hour and a half to 2 hours. Hopefully it works better next time!

~Krista Kooks