Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Low-Fat Zesty Shrimp Pasta

This is a recipe that I first found in a Kraft Food and Family magazine, before they started charging for the subscription. I was so bummed when they did that, I loved getting that magazine in the mail! I don't have the heart to subscribe to it when I can go to their websites and get the same recipes.

Low-Fat Zesty Shrimp Pasta
You can access the original recipe from Kraft Food & Family.

I make it according to how big (or small) of a meal we need. If I'm making a small batch just for a lunch or two, I'll use a smaller amount of noodles etc. The italian dressing is also versatile, you can use as much or as little as you'd like. I don't really follow the recipe anymore, I just make it as I go. Those are the best kinds of recipes, aren't they?

My version of Low-Fat Zesty Shrimp Pasta
1/2 box of spaghetti noodles
1-2 cups of italian dressing
1 14oz can of artichoke hearts (you may feel like chopping these up a little if you don't want large pieces)
1 pint of fresh mushrooms
2 teaspoons Onion Onion
1 bag of thawed, pre-cooked shrimp (you can use raw too, if you'd like, you'll just need to cook accordingly)

While the noodles are boiling, toss the dressing, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and shrimp into a saucepan on medium-high heat. Let these all cook together until the mushrooms are cooked and everything is heated through.

Drain your noodles. Combine the saucepan mixture and the noodles with another 1 cup italian dressing. mix together and serve.

It's a simple, light dinner that you can tailor to anyone's tastes. Add some roasted red peppers for a little extra color!

We served this with Warm Artichoke and Spinach Bread. Yumm! I guess we were really in the mood for artichokes, huh?

No comments: